Tuesday, June 17, 2014

OUT OF EDEN


I went to Brittany for a few days.  When I came back at least one business had closed while I was away.  THE WEDDING OF THE CENTURY was to be flowered by this florist.  Now, Les Willis will have to scramble to find an alternative.
In general, the economy has improved a little since last year.  In our village, there have been several houses that have recently sold after being on the market for a long time.  There is lots of work going on in these buildings.  
Right now M. Hollande is grappling with a train strike, the first industrial unrest he has had to deal with since he became president.  The minister of Public Education has had to give a dispensation to any kid who arrives late to their BAC exam because of the strike.  I am not sure what the issues are in the strike but there hasn't been much coverage or analysis in the press.
Yesterday, I went to Saumur to get a phone line installed.  I already have my BBOX from Bouygues but they couldn't install it because there is no phone line.  Phone lines can only be leased from FranceTelecom (Orange) so that's where I had to go yesterday.  I stood in line for about 45 minutes before I saw a "counsellor".  They couldn't care less if I bought something or not, or spent any money in their business.  It's not hard to see why France is still in recession.

No comments: