Sunday, September 21, 2008

IRISH DANCERS


The Healy Irish Dance School performed on Sunday morning. I had seen the Santa Rosa Scottish Dance group performing on Saturday so I was anxious to make a comparison.
My first impression of the Irish dancers was that they all looked like they were dressed in drag. The outfits were very stylized and something of a caricature. All the girls were wearing a curly-hair wig. I thought that a little bizarre - it was as if they were Tina Turner with Irish curls. Very strange.
They dancing itself was very impressive. I know nothing about step dancing but it seems that a lot of effort goes into the training and practise. What was especially nice was that there was a live band playing music rather than recorded music for the dancers.
I surprised myself by how much I actually enjoyed the performance. I do wish we could go back to a time when dancing for young people was a little more innocent and less Tina Turner.

No comments: