Saturday, July 4, 2009

BON VOYAGE, CHRISTELLE




We spent the morning hanging out at the weekly market in Saumur. We met up with Christelle to plan a small party to celebrate Christophe’s birthday and to give her a good send off. On Monday she is starting the pilgrimmage to Santiago de Compostela. She will be walking for two weeks and will cover the part of the route in France (the whole thing would take a month of walking) on foot, staying each night in pilgrim hostels.
After shopping at Leclerc I dropped Rich off at home and I went to the swimming pool in Avoine. There was a big wedding in Càndes so it took nearly 30 minutes to get through with lots of ugly French words exchanged between locals and visitors. In Avoine the area I wanted to go to was blocked off because of the Blues festival (Avoine Zone Blues) but I managed to figure out an alternative way of getting close to the swimming pool.
When I got home Mr. Reynoso had the big smile on his face that told me he had already drunk half a bottle of crémant. I joined him as I busied myself getting ready for the guests. The neighbors, Christian and Mette Racinet, came by to show us their pictures of boating on the Loire. We invited them to stay for dinner.
Christophe and Christelle arrived with kilos of merguez sausage and charcoal. The Racinets brought kilos of pork chops and the Chinon wine. We threw in brochettes of pork and beef and a tomato salad. Every 20 minutes, it seemed Christian went back to his cave for more bottles of wine. Before it was all over (close to one in the morning) we had our first barbeque party of the season in Montsoreau.

Happy Fourth of July, everyone!

1 comment:

Rick said...

Sounds fabulous!