Friday, August 7, 2009

DUBLIN WALKABOUT




I went looking for St. Mary's Abbey. A Cistercian abbey, St. Mary's was once the largest and wealthiest abbey in Ireland. Now only two rooms remain in the heart of the city. According to the OPW website it is located on a small street off Capel Street. I walked up and down Capel Street looking for Meetinghouse Lane. Eventually, I decided that perhaps this street is a lane off a street off of Capel Street. I walked back to Chancery Street and started to walk around the back streets. Hidden away back there was Meetinghouse Lane.
The entrance to the monument was behind a barred cage that was locked. The OPW website had not mentioned that it would be closed. I called the number listed on the display panel. The lady told me that the abbey is only open by appointment. Very disappointing.
I explored a little of that part of the city. On the other side of Capel Street I found a Mexican and Italian grocery store. The shop had the Mexican flag flying outside but very little in the way of Mexican products. Further up Capel Street I passed Slattery's, a place that figured prominantly in the debauchery of my youth. I wonder if the Sunday morning sessions are still going on?
I finished up my explorations by calling in to the Outhouse, a LGBT center at the top of Capel Street. I had a capuccino and chatted with Tiffany the transgender receptionist. A very pleasant afternoon.

No comments: