Saturday, July 23, 2011

DONEGAL TOWN






Mary offered a ride to Donegal Town. Sandy wanted to come along but she also wanted to spend the day in the Gleann. It looked like it was going to be a beautiful day, the perfect day to go swimming. We agreed we would go into Donegal to do the weekly shop but try to be back early so Sandy could go swimming.

When we got to town we parked the car and split up. They were going to the castle first but I wanted to get a little breakfast. I walked out to the Catholic church by myself then walked a little further to the Famine Graveyard. I was surprised to see that all the rowan trees along the edge of the graveyard had been cut down. It seems the County Council is making an effort to clean up and maintain the site. Schoolchildren had planted a bed of flowers to commemorate the aid sent by the Choctaws during the Famine.

I walked back towards town. I crossed over to the other side of the river to explore a different part of town. I found a newly opened restaurant where I could sit outside and have a cappuccino. Directly across the street was the Magee's factory.

I went back to the castle. There was a tour about to start so I waited in the courtyard for a few minutes. I love visiting the castle and try to take the tour every time I visit Donegal. I love hearing the story of the Ó Domhnaill and how they defended Ireland from English encroachment. Ultimately though, they were defeated and we haven't had a day's peace since.

The tour was hardly finished when I got a call from Mary. Sandy wanted to go back to the Gleann. I had to meet them right away so we could do our shopping and they could get back. We went to the SuperValu together. Yuki (Sneachta) was there doing shopping too. Mary offered to take her back in the car so I decided I would stay in Donegal and take the bus back later.

I met Marcas in the Diamond. We had agreed earlier that we would have dinner together. We walked over to the Blueberry which wasn't as crowded as usual. I had the special - lamb kebabs served in a bhajji that was more like pita bread. Marcas had the chickeny thing. I couldn't resist the strawberry-rhubarb crumble with fresh cream. Everything was delicious.

When we were finished there was very little time left for walking around. We took the bus home, well satisfied with our day out in town.

No comments: