Saturday, August 20, 2011

SANTA CRUZ


Tom and Ellen




I'm still on vacation, though the days are dwindling before I start school again on Monday. I'm making the best of it.
I called Ellen to see if she was not too busy with the new grand-daughter. She said "Come on down".
I drove over the hill in the afternoon. When I arrived Tom suggested a walk on the beach. We drove the short distance to the beach. It was beautiful. I took off my shoes and let my toes go wild in the sand. The sky was clear - no haze or clouds or fog. We walked along the beach closest to the marina. We avoided the part of the beach with the Boardwalk. On the way back Ellen spotted the fins of porpoises playing in the water. There was a harbor seal too hanging out.

Ellen and Tom had been invited to a birthday party of a friend at the Cash Store in Davenport. I tagged along. We drove up the coast to Davenport. At the party there was a live band playing and lots of wine flowing. I met Tom's ex and her husband. They have a house in Mexico, close to Manzanillo, a place that holds fond memories for me. We chatted about Mexico and their travels in France.

We spent about an hour at the party then headed back into Santa Cruz for dinner. We had dinner at an Italian restaurant: Ristoranti Avanti, a family run place that was very comfortable. Tom had forgotten his glasses but the waiter brought him a selection of glasses to try so that he could read the menu. Restaurants are responding to the greying of America in new and subtle ways!

No comments: