Sunday, July 1, 2007

LAPIN AUX LARDONS


Jacqueline talked up a big storm about how she makes rabbit so I decided to try my hand at it. She suggested using lardons to keep the rabbit from drying out. We went to the butchers and asked for 250 grammes of lardons. They sliced it, then cut it into small strips and chunks.
We bought the rabbit at the Sunday market in the village. We asked for half a rabbit. We got the back legs and a good hunk of the back along with the liver and kidneys.
I buttered a roasting pan, arranged peeled carrots and potatoes on a bed of coarsely chopped leeks and garlic with the rabbit on top. Then I dotted the rabbit with the lardons, seasoned with salt and pepper, threw in a handful of chopped parsley and two cups of stock, then covered everything with foil and baked it in the oven for an hour at 375°F.
Heavenly smells filled the kitchen. When the potatoes were tender I knew that everything was ready. I got a bottle of rosé from the cave, nicely chilled, called Rich to the table, and feasted on our first Sunday dinner in Montsoreau.

1 comment: