Sunday, April 20, 2014

OLDE WORLDE CHURCH CAFE

 Priory Café at the Carmalite Church


I walked into town from Walkinstown, a journey of about 10km.  It takes me about an hour.  I go through all the old neighbourhoods: Crumlin Village, 363, Dolphin's Barn, The Coombe, Patrick Street, Christ Church and into Dame Street.  I follow the old route of the 150 bus.
After my walk I was ready for lunch.  I went up to Bewely's in Grafton Street (the only original cafe left, though changed quite a bit from what I remembered).  It was crowded and I would have had to wait for a booth, so I decided to go back to Clarendon Street to the little church café tucked away in the courtyard behind the church.
I really like this place.  Homey, quiet, dignified are the adjectives that come to mind.  I had the vegetable soup and a salad of greens, bellpeppers, and carroty coleslaw. I stayed for about an hour and went back out into the bustle of Holy Saturday Dublin feeling refreshed and recharged.
(Note to alcohol licensing authority:  If you close the pubs on Good Friday people will drink twice as much on Holy Saturday).

Playlist:  Streets of London, Ralph Tell

No comments: