Friday, March 28, 2008

RIDE TO SEBASTOPOL



I got on the road a little earlier today because of the threat of rain. On the way down the hill a couple of quail rain across the road in front of me. I parked at the same place on Sonoma Avenue but instead of going up the Parkway I headed west on Third Street then continued west when it turned into Hall. Today I was able to find my way to the main road that leads into Sebastopol. I got there about 1:30 in the afternoon and rode around a little looking for a Peets. To no avail. I did wave to a small group of war protesters including a little granny with a sign that said "We need a department of peace". On the opposite corner was a larger group of war supporters with American flags waving.

In Sebastopol I found the bicycle trail to come back to Santa Rosa. As I was riding along it started to rain. A rabbit (or perhaps a hare) hopped out in front of me and carried on his way. Further down the trail a heron rose up and flew beside me for a few feet.
When I got back into Santa Rosa I cycled along part of the Prince Greenway. I saw an egret hanging out waiting for his dinner to swim by in Santa Rosa Creek. My wildlife day was capped by a sighting of a falcon or a hawk (hard to tell in the drizzle) on the power lines along Petaluma Hill Road.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you've taken this up again. Enjoy the rest of your vacation.