Monday, September 1, 2008

SAWYER CAMP SUNDAY


Menlo Park Farmers Market - just like in Montsoreau.

We took the kids downtown for the Sunday market. It was already hot and looking to be hotter. All the stone fruits were in great abundance. There were lots of tomatoes too. After the market we walked over to Draegers for breakfast - an excercise in excess and waste. (If you have kids it is easy to see how Americans use 25 times more of the Earth's resources than anyone else on the planet.)


Mercedes.


Uly at the entrance to Sawyers Camp in San Mateo.

After breakfast we thought it would be a good idea to take a ride out to Half Moon Bay. Unfortunately, everybody else in the Bay Area had the same idea. As soon as we turned off 280 onto Hwy 35 we saw that it was backed up all the way to
Half Moon Bay. We decided to take a walk along the Sawyers Camp Trail instead.


We walked along the trail for about a mile and a half. Mercedes walked the whole way with me but the boys turned back before reaching the goal. They missed out on seeing deer and hawks and butterflies. We even saw Ms. Washburn, one of the teachers from Mercedes school, cycling along the path with her family.
As we were walking along I got a call from Ed Cavanaugh on my cell. He wanted to know how to make the crust for the plum pie I made last weekend at the barbeque. I explained the ingredients and the procedure. He seemed very impressed by my culinary skills. I hope no one tells him that I got the recipe from the Barefoot Contessa!


The whole family together in the dining room.

We finished the day with a proper sit-down dinner in the dining room. I made a big pot of pasta and bolognese sauce and a great arugala and goat cheese salad. Mercedes helped me set the table. Vladimir suggested we hold hands and each person say something about themselves, a sort of New Age blessing.

No comments: