Saturday, July 29, 2006

GRIANGHRAF AN LAE: MAGAIRLIN MEIDHREACH = MERRY LITTLE TESTICLE



I was going to Killybegs yesterday so I asked Beryl and Madeleine if they would like to come along. Beryl said she was going swimming but would like to go the next day. I picked her up at lunchtime then went looking for Madeleine. Her class is at the main campus whereas our classes are in the National School building at the other end of the village.
We struck out for Killybegs in the car – my second time in as many days. Beryl requested that I drive like an Irishperson so that we could get there fast. Unfortunately that didn’t suit Madeleine who was carsick in the back.
When we got to Killybegs our first order of business was to find a pharmacy for lactose intolerance pills for Madeleine. We easily found the pharmacy and everything else in this two-street town. But of course it was closed for lunch so we went awandering about the town. Beryl and Madeleine wanted to find someplace to eat but the first place we went to was too much for Beryl’s fish allergy. What a bummer, to be allergic to fish in Ireland’s premier fishing port.
We decided to go shopping at the supermarket instead. They had a deli for the two girls to get something to eat in plastic containers. I bought some things for baking and when I got my change back I thanked the shopkeeper in Irish. She said she didn’t speak any Irish but I continued speaking to her in Irish and she understood well enough. By the end of the conversation she was trying to talk to me in Irish. Seosaimh’s theory is ccorrect.
On the way back to the Glen we stopped at St. Kieran’s Well with the intention of walking out to see the court tomb that is nearby. When we got there we realized that it was further away than we had thought and the field was quite marshy despite the fine weather for the last few days. We decided to give it a miss this time.
We also stopped at the Spaniard’s Church to find out why it was called that but again we were thwarted in our plans – this time by a locked gate.

2 comments:

Anne Marie said...

Is "Merry Little Testicle" the name of the flower or just a handy Irish phrase to be dropped casually into conversation?

I love your blog and am enjoying your/my vacation thoroughly.


Anne Marie

¡ máirtín ! said...

Both!
The name refers to the shape of the root rather than the flower.