Thursday, July 19, 2007

FAKE VILLAGE (FOLK VILLAGE)


There is an incredible building boom going on in GleannCholmCille. Houses are springing up everywhere. There is a new small hotel with self-catering apartments by the fire station, and close to where I’m staying five new holiday homes have been built.
This expansion has been taking place all over Ireland but until recently the Gleann has been relatively untouched. Now development has arrived with a vengence. It seems every telephone pole has a planning application notice displayed. There are even more street lights too so it never gets quite as dark as it used to.

1 comment:

Madeleine said...

Thanks for sharing your travel adventures. You're making me nostalgic for the glen -- the singing, and the beach....

But I am trying to get my head around an image of a hotel right by the firestation, and that (and all the other development that you describe) makes me a bit sad. I won't make it to the glen this year at all. No doubt there will be more such changes there before I get back there!