Tuesday, July 24, 2007

AN TRÁ BÁN


THE SILVER STRAND

I came home after the first day of the sean-nós class just ready to relax and be by myself. Treasa wanted to practise the songs. I started to make dinner for us both but it was extremely difficult to focus on my polenta with Treasa singing in my ear. I tried to be very explicit: I wanted to focus on what I was doing which was making dinner but I think Treasa was upset by my directness. After dinner she left and I felt I could have some time to myself.
I decided not to go down to the evening performance but to go instead to the Silver Strand. I actually started off by driving west to see what was beyond the hotel but I saw signs for the Silver Strand and didn’t remember ever being there before.
The parking lot was a high bluff. There was a steep path down to the beach. From the top I could see how bright and clean the beach was. In the light of the setting sun the sand reflected an orange color.
I was the only person there. I walked to the end of the beach, about a half a mile, then sat on the rocks looking out at the deep blue of the ocean. On either side of the bay arms jutted out to embrace it.
As darkness descended I made my way back to the car, grateful for one of the most beautiful and quietest moments of my life.

3 comments:

Aimee and Brad said...

Mairtin,
I think you have been here before. I know Gem, Andy, Mam, Dad and I were here before when we met you in Donegal. I thought you had gone to see it with us before
Aimee

Aimee and Brad said...

Mairtin,
I think you have been here before. I know Gem, Andy, Mam, Dad and I were here before when we met you in Donegal. I thought you had gone to see it with us before
Aimee

MáirtínTJ said...

I guess my 50 year old brain couldn't remember.