Tuesday, July 21, 2009

AMACH AG SIÚL








It rained very heavily this morning and into the afternoon. Liam had annonced that there would be a guided walk around the valley in the evening but I didn’t really think that it would happen given the weather. But by the evening it had cleared and the walk was on.
We met the main group at the church. When we arrived they had already been into the souterrain and were closing it up. We asked them to open it again and Joach and I went down into it.
I had been into the souterrain many times before so I knew the lay of it. We didn’t have a flashlight but after our eyes adjusted we could make out the main passages. Joach was really excited – he scrambled about like a child, exploring the two main wings of the chamber. With the camera flash I was able to see further into passageways.
After the souterrain the group walked towards Seipeal Cholmcille (St. Columba’s Chapel). The “chapel” is really a small stone cell where a hermit monk probbably lived. There is a set of flat stones that is referred to as Leaba Colmcille (St. Columba’s Bed). Pilgrims are supposed to lie down on it and make three revolutions of their body to be cured of their ills. I did that but I still have the creaky knee!

No comments: