Tuesday, July 21, 2009

JOACH’S POLENTA




There is a strange community developing in the house. Most nights everyone makes their own food (beans on toast, usually) but since Sunday I have been cooking with Joach and Anna, sharing each meal together. Yesterday, Joach made an Irish version of Mexican tacos that were very good. Anna cut up all the vegetables (onion, redpepper, lettuce) and Joach put it all together with sauteed leftover chicken and diced ham tossed in a premade taco sauce. He also made a “salsa” of yoghurt and garlic.
Today I decided that I wanted some comfort food. I made a big batch of polenta. Joach was fascinated by my polenta. He had never heard of polenta much less eaten it before. I had some Welsh cheddar cheese with peppercorns that I grated and added at the end and when it was cool I sprinkled it with olive oil and put it under the grill to brown the top. I wondered if Joach would really like it but when I served it he couldn’t get enough of it. We ate almost the whole dish of polenta – best compliment for any chef.

No comments: