Saturday, June 19, 2010

DRABHLÁS: 5 HEINEKENS LATER . . .


I spent the day today with my nephew Austin. I got a ride into the city center with Helen. She had a day off and wanted to do some shopping. I left her in Jervis Street and walked up to Parnell Square. I spent an hour at the Municipal Gallery. Nothing new there but always a pleasure to see Bacon's studio. I did enjoy a video by an Irish artist, Gerard Byrne that recreated the print advertizing of the 1981 Chrysler Imperial.
I gave Austin a call. He works at CitiBank in the Docklands. He told me to take the Luas from Abbey Street but I decided to walk over there instead. I followed the tracks around the Customs House and into Georges Dock. I waited on the bridge for Austin. When he came down we walked along the quays on the other side to an old-style pub called The Ferryman. Along the way we met Helen and persuaded her to come to lunch with us.



I hung around with Austin until he had to return to work for the afternoon. It was really pleasant sitting in the bar and chatting

Later in the evening I reconnected with Austin. He had invited me to birthday drinks for a co-worker at a place called Dicey's Garden on Harcourt Street. I got there first but was turned away by the bouncer because my shorts were not "neat dress". I called Aussie and he suggested that we meet at a bar on Camden Street called Ryan's. Austin came along with another co-worker. We had a great night of drinking and chatting.

No comments: