Wednesday, June 15, 2011

CAFE BELL


Olde Worlde Cafe Bell

I ventured out for the first time today. I have been dealing with serious jetlag for the last three days. On Monday when I arrived I had breakfast then went to bed for about seven hours. On Tuesday, I woke up at 3 am but I was back in bed by midday for another 6 hours. Today, I vowed to stay up the whole day.
I took the bus into town. The 150 route has changed dramatically. It no longer goes down the Crumlin Road like it has for the past 50 years. Now it goes down Kildare Road and then through Sundrive on Clogher Road. It crosses the canal at Donore Avenue then heads down the Coomb and into Town along its old route. It was nice to see a different part of the city but I missed the view of our old house on Crumlin Road.

I had lunch at the Cafe Bell. I started out at Cornucopia but the line was so long I couldn't see the menu board. I walked over in the direction of George's Market. In the laneway behind BrwonThomas I saw a sign for Cafe Bell through the archway. I decided to check it out.

The archway led into a small courtyard behind St. Theresa's Carmalite Church. The cafe looked like it was part of the monastery. Inside, there was a single room with chandaliers and tables. It was probably the priests' front room originally.

No comments: