Sunday, June 12, 2011

DAY OF DEPARTURE


Self-portrait with Highland eyebrows at Gate 28, SFO.

It was a bit of an adventure getting to the airport.
I woke at about 4 am and got out of bed at 4:30 so I had plenty of time to get ready.

By 5 am I was on the road over to Forest’s house in Redwood City. He was going to take me to the airport but when I got to his house there was no sign of life. I knocked on the door and waited. I knocked some more. I rang the bell and waited. I rang the bell again. Finally, Forest appeared in his pyjamas with Buddy (the dog).
I drove my own car to the airport with Buddy as back seat driver.

At the airport there was a long line snaking away from the USAir counter. Some of the check in machines weren’t working and at least one family had to rearrange their baggage to lighten the load by 3 pounds. I was called to a postion where there was a real person doing the check in stuff. It didn’t take me long to be out of that line and in another long line to go through security.

Security was a breeze. The CPAP machine went in a tray and through the machine without anyone asking to open it up and inspect it. At the other side of security I had plenty of time to get in the long Peet’s line for a latte and a (rubber) scone. While I was settling in with my breakfast there was a call for passengers willing to take a later flight because my flight was oversold. They offered $500. If they make that offer in Dublin on the way back I will take it and try to stay a few days in Philadelphia.

No comments: