Thursday, November 12, 2015

18 REBUILD: Chauffage sous-sol?




Today's question concerns underfloor heating:

Our ground floor is now completely open.  I have removed the tile and concrete subfloor. The waste plumbing is resting on bare earth.  It seems like this is the time to plan for a replacement floor that includes some kind of heating.

If you have installed underfloor heating, what do you like about it?  What were the alternatives you considered and what were the criteria you used for deciding to go with it?  Has it met your expectations or have you been disappointed with the cost or performance?

If you considered underfloor heating but subsequently decided against it, what were the deciding factors for you?  What have you found that has worked better, cost-wise and performance-wise?

Responses:

No idea about underfloor heating....I hate anything I cannot see and therefore cannot check what is happening.
I recall that you mentioned old tomettes for the floor.....I would want advice as to whether it dried them out too much and made them crack...or are they so thick you would not get the benefit.

As you have a fantastic fire in the room do you need underfloor stuff as well? Also how much time do you spend there in winter? I guess from the point of view of keeping the house aired during the winter it might help but it could be expensive. We decided against it when we had the opportunity to do it purely on a cost basis. 

I do remember when they built the place near you where, I think, the cat lady lived, they put in floors with wires. I was hoping to do my new/old  garage/bedroom with a heated floor. Looking forward to finding out what you find out.

I put in floor heating in the Guest House - at the time it was a "new thing" and I didn't put it in the Main House as they thought the change of temperature may affect the caves. In retrospect would've put it in the main house as well. I did get some kind of subsidy from EDF.

The only recommendation I can give is from the huband of Beatrice, who worked for EDF and said it was the best system and had it installed in their house.

Underfloor heating is quiet. Plus since we have slate tiles in 2 of the bathrooms, it would have made it much cozier to have the floors heated instead of putting your feet on that cold stone-yuck. In looking at flooring, I discovered that many manufacturers are now putting the channels in the flooring. A much better idea. I bet the material has improved too, so there's not as much chance of leakage.

Playlist:

Both Sides the Tweed
Mary Black



Cúnla
Planxty



No comments: