Monday, January 4, 2016

MIONLOCH PARK: Ghost Bike

Ghost Bikes have been appearing in various places on the Peninsula for the past couple of years.  I'm not sure where this tradition started but it is a really nice way of celebrating the life of a fallen cyclist, and the white silhouette reminds others that this is an intersection to be maneuvered with extreme caution.

I went out for a ride this morning because rain is predicted for the whole of this week.  I've committed to 30 miles a week on my bike, so I thought I should get started.  I rode the back streets to the Facebook campus, then skirted the edge of Bayshore along the Bay Trail.  I stopped at the Ghost Bike at the bottom of Marsh Road to find out about the person that it commemorates.  Apparently, Sam Felder went through the red light here and was struck by a car coming through the intersection with the green light.  He was a Facebook employee.

I made my way back along Haven Avenue to check out the building projects in that area which is slated to be a new satellite town center for East Menlo Park when the construction is completed in 2016.







Playlist:

Bicycle Race (I Want To Ride My Bicycle)
Queen

No comments: