Tuesday, August 3, 2010

THE QUARE FELLOW



I went to see "The Quare Fellow" at the New Theatre in Dublin. The theater is located behind the Communist Party bookstore in Dublin's Temple Bar area. It is a small 66 seat theater, similar to the 50 seater where the play was premiered in 1954.
I'm afraid I was very disappointed with both the theater and the performance. The theater is small but I think it could have been better designed both for comfort and for viewing. For instance, the seats are laid out in rows that are not offset to provide a gap between the heads. I spent the evening peeking around the large head directly in front of me.
As for the performance it was lacklustre at best. Like the scenery it was very one-dimensional. None of the themes of repressed sexuality, politics or religion were well developed. I only knew there was a gay character by reading the Wikipaedia entry. I'm not sure if this is the fault of Behan's writing or Ronan Wilmot's directing. Either way, I was left with the sense that I need to see another production to really appreciate Behan's genius.
I wonder if the movie was any better?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just so ya know, I can see there is supposed to be a picture but it is missing. I tried both Safari and Firefox but no pic.

Now I'm going to see if I can find any reviews of the movie.

MáirtínTJ said...

I think Blogger made the picture invisible because it is copyright. I did credit the copyright owner but I guess they want paying for their content.