Sunday, October 25, 2015

RELOOKING



It is always such a pleasure to visit the coiffeur in Chinon.
I have had M. Wilbrun attend to my locks for nearly 10 years now. In the beginning, we struggled to have the usual barbershop conversation. I stumbled through a garbled form of French and he graciously played along with my dismal efforts.
But yesterday, something had changed. We talked about rugby (Europe doesn't have a team to equal the New Worlds'); economy (things are improving in Chinon but very slowly); family (he always asks about Rich and Mercedes. His family is growing up and he expects to have a first grandchild in the next five years; movies (not much to report on the French scene but M. Wilbrun did like the movie "Youth" with Michael Caine). I realized as I was leaving that I hadn't needed to use a single English word to bridge me through the conversation. It seems that the best way to learn French is to make frequent visits to the barbershop.

As I was leaving I remarked on the pile of grey hair on the floor.

—Once we were young and beautiful.  Now we are just beautiful.

Playlist:

Favourite Shirts (Boy Meets Girls)
Haircut 100


No comments: