Sunday, June 21, 2009

MORE CAR TROUBLES



The Jaguar seemed fine as I left Karen’s to pick up my bike and drive to Saumur. The gas light came on a couple of times and given that the fuel gauge doesn’t work I thought it wise to stop in Càndes for 20 euros worth of carburent.

My bike had a flat back tire but I knew Christelle had a pump so I stuffed the bike in the back of the car and took off flying for Saumur. The main road was closed because of the Fête du Vélo so I had to take a deviation through Varennes. Right after I turned left onto the D10 I heard the most terrible noise coming from under the car. I pulled over to investigate – the muffler had fallen off. I called Christophe. They arrived after about 20 minutes and confirmed the diagnosis. Christophe advised me not to drive the car. We left it parked at the side of the road in front of the house of a very strange man (How strange? The fly of his Levi’s was repaired by a homemade button job.)

We pumped up the back tire of my bike. I cycled back to Montsoreau, a distance of about 10 km and waited for Christelle to arrive from Saumur on her bike.

No comments: