Monday, June 8, 2009

SCHOOLHOUSE LANE


Old Saint Audeon's Church


New Catholic church built in the 19th century.
This is now a centre for Polish Catholics living in the Capital.




A view down Schoolhouse Lane.

Helen drove Brad and I into James Hospital. Brad got the car and I hoofed it down James' Street into the city centre. Along the way I stopped at St. Audeon's Church. There is a new interpretative centre for visitors. I was the first one throught the door so I had the guide to myself. Apparently this parish church is one of the oldest churches with continuous worship in Dublin. It was built by the Normans on the site of an earlier Viking church. The restoration is impressive. There were many explanatory panels detailing the importance of this church in the history of Dublin. I learned about the Great Explosion in 1597 that killed more than 126 people and damaged nearly every building in the city, including the two cathedrals. After the explosion the cramped city pushed out of the confines of it's walls and started the urban expansion and development that continues today.

This walk passes by another wonderful building - the Augustinian church. The church was built on the site of an Augustinian monastery that was established during the Norman period in the 12th century. The interior has stained glass windows by Harry Clarke.

No comments: