Monday, June 22, 2009

THIZAY


Nico atop the dolman in Thizay.

Today was to be my last day taking care of Nico. His mom promised to be back home by midday so that I could meet with Christelle and Christophe for the Fête de Vélo. We drove to Montsoreau for the weekly market. Montsoreau was already crowded with cyclists and some of the access roads were closed. We walked around the market then went for coffee at the Lion D’Or. Nico greeted a classmate who was there with his family.
I took Nico to see the dolman in Thizay. The church was closed but we continued up the narrow road behind it to the dolman. The dolman sits right at the edge of the road looking out across the valley towards the centre nucleaire in Avoine. We climbed up to the top and scrambled all around – two buddies having fun together. Then we went for a walk across the fields in search of the adjacent holy well. We found a some cherry trees with bright red cherries hanging from the branches. I ate my fill but Nico was not impressed by the tartness.
We drove back to LaBlanchière. Karen had just arrived. I deposited Nico with his mom and took off, grateful that my work was done and my vacation could begin in earnest.

No comments: