Thursday, September 3, 2015

LÁ ROTHAÍOCHTA




I started out in Bournand looking for the Sentiers des Légendes Celtiques.
I did find the first marker for it but didn't find the next one.  Instead, I went to Vézières and had some beers with Kerry and Cassie.  From there, I decided to head out towards Thizay.  I was determined to see at least one dolmen.

                                               quinoa

The French have taken to planting huge quantities of quinoa.  All the fields in our region have sunflowers, corn or quinoa.  The sunflowers and corn are for vegetable oil, the quinoa for eating as is. It's beginning to look like Kansas in the Loire Valley!


sméara dubha                               pis chumhra

The blackberries are turning very sweet now.  I sampled handfuls at every bush I passed.  I also ate figs and peaches from trees that were growing on the side of the road - a real cornucopia.




Saint Martin                                                Saint Pain

In Lerné, I discovered a distributeur de pain - an ATM machine for fresh bread.  The local bakery looked like it had been closed for years.  This machine is the alternative since bread is available 7/7j 24 heures.  I put my €2 piece in and pressed the button.  The machine rumbled and I heard a plopping sound as the baguette dropped into the hopper.  It wasn't the freshest bread I've ever had (the machine is probably refilled one time a day in the early morning.  Still, I enjoyed having something to snack on and wished there was a distributeur de paté to make a sandwich.

Café de Centre

Thizay

I finally made it to Thizay.  I had planned to ride all the way home to Montsoreau but after I tumbled from the bike and landed on the camera that was around my neck I wasn't feeling like pushing on.  I called Rich at home and he came and picked me and the bike up in the car.

Playlist:

No comments: